Our regulatory and business crime solicitors have successfully defended some of the UK’s most complex and high profile serious fraud and financial crime cases brought by regulators and enforcement agencies.
We have been defending companies, directors, senior personnel and high net worth individuals for more than 20 years and our expert fraud lawyers fight hard for our clients every step of the way.
Regulatory investigations can have a devastating impact on you and your business. Enforcement agencies have the power to seize confidential material and freeze your assets. You and your staff may have to attend interviews under caution.
Investigations can also severely damage reputations. Greater collaboration between domestic and international regulators including the US Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and the Department for Justice (DOJ) has seen agencies share information, impacting the reputations of businesses both in the UK and abroad. In recent years, extradition to countries such as the US has been an increasing threat.
If you or your business is under investigation or facing prosecution, our regulatory and business crime solicitors will guide you through every stage and defend your best interests.
Our tactical knowledge of the regulators and how they work is unrivalled and we are not afraid to challenge their demands.
We often successfully defend allegations of wrongdoing at the investigation stage, preventing criminal charges and disciplinary proceedings being brought against our clients.
Our serious fraud and regulatory lawyers have experience in dealing with:
- Serious Fraud office (SFO)
- Financial Conduct Authority (FCA)
- Department of Justice (DOJ)
- HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC)
- Competition and Markets Authority (CMA)
- Health and Safety Executive (HSE)
- Department for Business Innovation and Skills (BIS)
- Trading Standards
- The City of London Police and regional fraud squads
- Environment Agency
Landmark cases which our financial crime and regulatory investigation solicitors have advised
- Acted for director in the SFO prosecution of O’Neil and others in suspected large scale cartel activity in the generic drugs market. The SFO prosecuted the case as a conspiracy to defraud. Throughout the proceedings we maintained that conduct was not criminal. Complex legal arguments followed, with the House of Lords deciding against the SFO. The failed prosecution cost the public purse in excess of £50m
- Acted for former finance director in the high profile iSOFT case. Directors were prosecuted on conspiracy to mislead the market. The case was describe as the FSA’s ‘flagship prosecution’. All four directors were acquitted at the end
of a second trial
- Acted for a director based in the Middle East in the BAE Systems Saudi international corruption case. The investigation eventually ended in controversial circumstances after the Saudi Government proposed action that was deemed to put UK national security at risk
- Operation Venison – advised managing director in £130m alleged international fraud prosecuted by HMRC. Resulting in a successful three month abuse of process application leading to the end of proceedings. A number of HMRC personnel were subsequently placed under criminal investigation
- Acted for senior director in relation to multi-agency allegations by the SFO, OFT, FSA and HMRC in the retail sports industry. This was the first instance of a case where the OFT handed the lead prosecution case to the SFO